Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pinecones for your tree


Even if the gift inside the box is store-bought, having a little home-made topper can make a good present, extra-special. These pinecone ornaments are just perfect for that. I learned to make them ages ago, and decided to add a few new ones to my collection this year. For the ornament above, I used paper from Bella Blvd.'s new Winter Wonder collection, called Ski Slopes.
To make your own, you will need...
-a small styrofoam egg
-pins
-paper (or ribbon) cut into 1" wide strips, then cut into 1 1/2" long
pieces. You will use about six, 1 inch strips.
-ribbon
-tacky glue
Fold the rectangles of paper to a point (not true triangles), as seen in the photo. Place each folded paper onto the egg, pinning at the two top corners.
The key to getting the pinecone shape started, is to pin 3 of the folded rectangles so their bottom points meet at the bottom of the egg (you can see this in the picture below). Then, you just keep going around pinning the pieces at each corner, covering the pins of the row underneath as you go.
Once you get to the top, slide the pins under the fold (see below).
Loop some ribbon on a pin (I used a pearl-topped headpin for this), making your first loop a big one so you can use it for hanging on the tree. Dip the pin in some tacky glue before sticking it into the top of the pinecone.
Here are a few I made with ribbon. They are hanging on the tree, just ready and waiting if I need to attach them to the top of a package.

I hope you have all of your shopping done and can take some time to sit back and relish in some holiday memories as they happen. Make sure you get some photos too!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Facebook

4 comments:

Ladykli said...

love, love,love this idea!!!thanks for sharing!!!

kitsNbits said...

That is SO COOL!! I love it. Thank you for sharing

Connie Mercer said...

Love this~wish I had the egg shape I would make some!!!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love this idea especially the one with the ribbon. Thanks for the great tutorial.
I'll have to come back to see what other creative projects you come up with.